Real Estate Attorney
Stephenson Law LLP
Over the last twenty five years Rick’s practice has given him the opportunity to handle corporate and real estate deals that have positively impacted Cary and the greater Triangle area.
Rick regularly represents owners, investors and developers in a variety of sophisticated real estate projects including the acquisition, financing, construction, leasing and disposition of commercial properties. These projects include assemblages of raw land as well as retail, office and warehouse/industrial centers. Rick has also provided lender representation to local and national banks.
Building on his substantial commercial real estate experience, Rick also represents property owner’s in land condemnation litigation against the North Carolina Department of Transportation as well as various municipalities.
Prior to co-founding Stephenson Law in 2002, Rick served on active duty in the United States Navy with the Judge Advocates General Corps. He thereafter served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice where he was a trial prosecutor of white-collar felony cases as well as representing the federal government before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Aside from his law practice and community activities, Rick’s enjoys spending his free time with his family and being a father to his three children.
- North Carolina State Bar: 1992 to Present
- North Carolina Bar Association: 1992 to Present
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 1997
- Appalachian State University (B.S.B.A., 1987)
- Campbell University, Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law (J.D., 1992)
- Special Assistant United States Attorney, Eastern District of Virginia, 1994-1995;
- Member, Cary Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors: Chair 2021-2022 and Vice Chair of Education 2016-2017
- Taylor Family YMCA, Cary Advisory Board: 2014 to 2017
- Campaign Chair, Major Gifts, Cary Family YMCA: 2021 to 2022
- The Carying Place, Board of Directors: 2010 to 2016
- Cary MacGregor Rotary Club – Member
- NC Legal Elite (Business North Carolina Magazine), Real Estate Law: 2016, 2017, 2021; Business Law: 2023
- Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law and Real Estate Law, 2024
- JAGC Lt. U.S. Navy, 1992-1995
- Retired Commander, U. S. Navy Reserve