North Carolina Eminent Domain Lawyers

Eminent Domain is the power of the government to take private property for a public purpose. Under the law, the government is required to pay “just compensation” for the taking of your property.

With over 60 years of combined legal experience, the lawyers at Carolina Eminent Domain work to ensure clients maximize the value of property threatened by condemnation.  Our lawyers are experienced trial attorneys with expertise in the areas of civil litigation, land condemnation and commercial real estate law.  Let us put our experience to work for you.  We will make sure you receive maximum compensation under the law for your property.

If you receive notice of a government taking or an offer to purchase, contact us now for a free case evaluation.  Act now to protect your rights.


Doug Hanna & Rick Stephenson

  Raleigh Eminent Domain Attorneys

Your Land

Land is one of the most valuable assets a private citizen may own.  It is so valuable that the Founding Fathers specifically created a right in the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution: “nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation.” We understand how important your land is to you and we will fight to make sure you are treated fairly by the government.

Your Rights

    • Just compensation for the land taken
    • Just compensation for the improvements taken
    • Damages to the remainder of your property
    • Just compensation for temporary or permanent easements
    • Relocation assistance

Your Lawyers

The government has a team of lawyers working against you – shouldn’t you have a dedicated legal team on your side?  Carolina Eminent Domain, made up of two well-established law firms in Raleigh and Cary, will fight for your rights as a landowner.  We provide a comprehensive legal strategy to maximize the value of your property when it is threatened by eminent domain.



Our lawyers have experience in dealing with the government on land condemnation matters.  We represent landowners statewide in cases filed by both municipalities and the NCDOT.

One of our lawyers, Doug Hanna, worked for NCDOT and represented the government in land condemnation matters all across North Carolina.  Both Rick and Doug have experience working both for and against the government.

We understand the process, we know how the government operates, and we can help you secure fair compensation for the taking.


Our lawyers have experience in dealing with the proper valuation of real estate, understanding the highest and best use of a piece of property and working with land appraisers to determine the maximum value of your property.

Our lawyers also have experience in the area of real estate development.  One of our lawyers, Rick Stephenson, focuses his area of practice in the field of real estate law.  Rick understands the real estate issues in condemnation cases and knows how to work with appraisers, and other experts, to ensure you receive maximum compensation for your property.


Carolina Eminent Domain formed out of relationship between two former Navy JAG lawyers – Doug Hanna and Rick Stephenson

Doug Hanna is an experienced trial attorney in the field of land condemnation having represented landowners statewide.  Early in his career, Doug represented NCDOT in land condemnation cases and understands how NCDOT works.

Rick Stephenson is a seasoned real estate lawyer who also has significant experience handling eminent domain matters for his clients.  Rick also has experience in the field of real estate development and understands how to assess the highest and best use of real estate.



Can I stop the taking?

Unfortunately, in the overwhelming majority of cases, there is no way to stop the taking.  Under the law, the government is only required to show that the taking is for a public use or purpose.


What is the Government required to pay for the taking?

The government is required to pay just compensation for the taking.  This includes the value of land taken, the value of the improvements taken, and the damages to the remaining portion of the property.


How do I get more than the offer or deposit?

First, you must reject the government’s offer.  Second, consult with an experienced lawyer to determine  what damages are owed to you under the law.  Third, force the government to pay you just compensation by negotiations or through the condemnation process.


How much will it cost me to hire a lawyer?

We will agree to represent you on a contingency fee basis.  The initial offer made by the government (or deposit in condemnation filing) is your money.  We only collect a fee if we are successful in obtaining more money that what was offered or deposited by the Government.

Protect Your Rights

Schedule a consultation to answer your legal questions

Let Us Help


Spark Better Business

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Learn More