Fitzgerald Hanna & Sullivan, PLLC
Doug is a veteran trial lawyer who has tried more than 30 jury trials to verdict in state court, federal court, and military courts-martial. With a litigation background that also includes well over 100 contested bench trials and administrative hearings, Doug has the experience and judgment necessary to handle complex litigation matters.
Doug is proud to have started his legal career as a Navy Judge Advocate. The discipline and work ethic instilled in him during his time in the Navy continues to serve him well in private practice. Following his time in the Navy, Doug served as a felony prosecutor in Orange County and then as an Assistant Attorney General representing the North Carolina Department of Transportation. As a DOT lawyer, Doug handled condemnation cases on behalf of the State of North Carolina.
Following his government service, Doug joined North Carolina’s largest law firm and focused his practice on insurance litigation, condemnation litigation and business contract disputes. In 2008, he founded a boutique litigation firm that is now known as Fitzgerald Hanna & Sullivan.
Doug is blessed to have the love and support of his beautiful wife Denise and is the proud father of three boys (Will, Brendan and Grayson). Outside of work, Doug focuses his attention on his Christian faith and his family.
Graebe Hanna & Sullivan PLLC, 2008-2021
- Partner and founding member of the firm
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice PLLC, 2001-2008
- Partner in the Business Litigation Group in Raleigh
North Carolina Attorney General’s Office, 1998-2001
- Assistant Attorney General in the Insurance Section
- Assistant Attorney General in the Transportation Section (Condemnation)
Assistant District Attorney, Orange County, 1997-1998
- Felony prosecutor handling sexual assault, child abuse and domestic violence cases
Judge Advocate General’s Corps, United States Navy, 1991-1997
- Defense Counsel, Naval Legal Service Office, Jacksonville, FL
- Senior Trial Counsel (Prosecutor), Naval Legal Service Office, Jacksonville, FL
- Staff Judge Advocate, Naval Station, Guam
- Senior Defense Counsel, Naval Legal Service Office, Washington, D.C.
- Midshipmen Legal Counsel, U.S. Naval Academy
B.G.S., 1988 , University of Michigan
J.D., 1991, Wake Forest University School of Law