NCDOT is required to make every reasonable effort to acquire your property through negotiation.  In the event NCDOT is unsuccessful in negotiating the purchase of your property, a condemnation action will be filed pursuant to Chapter 136 of the North Carolina General Statutes to acquire the subject property.  

Along with the formal condemnation filing, NCDOT will deposit with the court the amount initially determined to be just compensation.  The initial deposit is your money and we can assist you in securing a disbursement of those funds.  In order to determine whether you are owed additional compensation, we recommend that you consult with an attorney who specializes in the area of eminent domain.  The lawyers at Carolina Eminent Domain will provide you with an honest evaluation of your case at no charge.  Our job is to make sure you receive all compensation to which your are entitled under the law.  If, after the initial compensation, you decide to hire us, we will represent you on a contingency fee basis – meaning we will only earn a fee if we obtain compensation in excess of the amount offered or deposited by the government.  Please feel free to contact us at 919-459-2192.